MAXIMUS is a leading operator of government health and human services programs and has partnered with state, federal and local governments to provide critical, high quality health and human service programs to a diverse array of communities. Operating under MAXIMUS’s founding mission of Helping Government Serve the People® since 1975, MAXIMUS Federal Services is entirely focused on helping government agencies run programs cost-effectively and serve program constituents with improved outcomes. By being a responsible steward for government programs, we help the federal government deliver on its promises through our people, process and technology. Our focus is always on outcomes and results that connect citizens more effectively with government services.
We are seeking Senior COBOL Programmers to support our Internal Revenue Service (IRS) client located in New Carrollton MD.
• Create, update, unit test, and maintain IBM COBOL programs
• Update documentation such as Functional Specification Packages (FSPs) or Program Requirements Packages (PRPs) and/or Visio diagrams, and/or spreadsheets as needed
• Track requirements and create/execute unit test cases
• Write, analyze, review and/or provide comments on documentation such as Unified Work Requests (UWR), UWR responses and Internal Revenue Manuals (IRM), Interface Control Documents (ICD) Computer Operator Handbooks (COH)
• Rewrite programs, using workflow chart and diagram, and applying knowledge of computer capabilities, tax processing subject matter expertise, and symbolic logic.
• Perform or direct the revision, repair, or expansion of existing programs to increase operating efficiency or adapt to new requirements
• Consult with managerial, engineering, and technical personnel to clarify program intent, identify problems, and suggest changes
• Perform systems analysis and programming tasks to maintain and control the use of computer systems software
• Compile and write documentation of program development and subsequent revisions, inserting comments in the coded instructions so others can understand the program
• Prepare detailed workflow charts and diagrams that describe input, output, and logical operation, and convert them into a series of instructions coded in a computer language
• Consult with and assist testers in the development, SAT and FIT environments
This is a Part-time position and will average approximately 30 hours a week.
Prefer candidates that are able to work 1 day a week at the IRS facility in New Carrollton MD, with remaining days working remotely from home. The selected candidate must be flexible and available to attend meetings or perform other activities in New Carrollton as required.
• Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university required; an additional four (4) years of related work experience can substitute for a degree
• At least eight (8) years of relevant experience required
• At least four (4) years of experience with IBM COBOL programming language
• Good verbal and written communication skills
• Demonstrated success in client support
• Ability to interface with all levels of management
• Ability to perform complex tasks with minimal supervision and guidance
• Excellent time management, scheduling and organizational skills
• Ability to work well independently or in a team setting
• Preferred qualifications and experience include: experience with DB2 and IBM utilities, Knowledge of IRS processing systems
Additional Requirements, as per Contract/Client:
• Candidates must meet requirements to obtain and maintain an IRS Minimum Background Investigation (MBI) clearance (active IRS Moderate Risk MBI is a plus)
• Candidates must be a US Citizen or a Legal Permanent Resident (Green Card status) for at least three (3) years, and Federal Tax compliant