MAXIMUS is a leading operator of government health and human services programs and has partnered with state, federal and local governments to provide critical, high quality health and human service programs to a diverse array of communities. Operating under MAXIMUS’s founding mission of Helping Government Serve the People® since 1975, MAXIMUS Federal Services is entirely focused on helping government agencies run programs cost-effectively and serve program constituents with improved outcomes. By being a responsible steward for government programs, we help the federal government deliver on its promises through our people, process and technology. Our focus is always on outcomes and results that connect citizens more effectively with government services.
We are seeking Sr. COBOL Programmers to support our Internal Revenue Service client in New Carrollton MD. The candidate will support IRS applications such as: Generalized Mainline Framework (GMF), Individual Master File (IMF) Document Specific, Business Master File (BMF) Document Specific and Error Resolution Systems (ERS), Integrated Data Retrieval (IDRS) and other systems.
The Sr. COBOL Programmer will work as a member of an Integrated Project Team (IPT) with other MAXIMUS senior programmers and IRS senior programmers to develop new or modify existing COBOL applications.
The candidate will review and analyze Unified Work Requests (UWR) or system requirements; write design documentation such as a Functional Specification Packages (FSP), Interface Control Document (ICD) or other design documentation; and develop COBOL programs, write a test plan, develop unit test cases with predetermined results, generate test data, execute the program using the test data and analyze the test results.
Candidates must be able to work 1 day a week at the IRS facility in New Carrollton MD, with remaining days working remotely from home. The selected candidate must be flexible and available to attend meetings or perform other activities in New Carrollton as required. Project may consider IRS experienced candidates outside of DC Metro area as 100% remote.
This is a Part-time position and will average approximately 30 hours a week.
• Perform software development using and/or interfacing with IRS systems such as GMF, ERS, IMF Document Specific, BMF Document Specific, IDRS and certain compliance related systems. Development tasks include reviewing/analyzing the requirements, developing the functional design, supporting a design walkthrough, coding in COBOL, developing a unit test plan, creating test cases, developing test data, executing the program using the test data generated, analyzing the test results and updating the test plan to include the actual test results
• Support IRS Enterprise System Testing (EST) testing or Performance testing
• Support all functions of applications development, including requirement review and perform FSP walkthroughs, core record layout updates, Computer Operator Handbook (COH) updates and review, and transmittal deployment to EST
• Provide verbal and written reports, as needed. This may include creating Visio diagrams of application flowcharts, creating an Excel spreadsheet, updating a Requirements Traceability Matrix, consolidating information, etc.
• Provide transfer of knowledge to IRS developers/analysts
• Provide status reports and attend meetings
• Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university (or additional four  years of related experience in lieu of degree) required
• At least eight (8) years of related experience
• Experience with COBOL programming and either JCL (IBM) or ECL (Unisys)
• Experience with reviewing, analyzing and coordinating requirements to develop acceptable COBOL application programs
• Experience reviewing or creating design or functional documentation for programmers to develop COBOL code
• Experience in development and execution of test cases for Unit Testing, which includes development of a unit test plan, test cases with predetermined results, generating test data and executing the COBOL program using the test data and analyzing/reporting the test results
• Proven ability to work on and with teams comprised of the primary client and other client stakeholders dispersed across geographical sites
Preferred qualifications include:
• Experience with and/or knowledge of IRS IRMs and Part 3 IRMs
• Experience with reviewing/analyzing UWR requirements
• Experience with COBOL development on IRS systems, such as GMF, ERS, IMF Document Specific, BMF Document Specific, IDRS, AIMS, etc.
• Experience with reviewing, updating, and participating in a walkthrough of a Functional Specification Package (FSP)
• Experience with transmittal systems such as SQuA or Endevor
• Work is performed in a general office environment
Additional Requirements as per contract/client:
• Candidates must meet requirements to obtain and maintain an IRS Minimum Background Investigation (MBI) clearance (active IRS Moderate Risk MBI is a plus)
• Candidates must be a US Citizen or a Legal Permanent Resident (Green Card status) for 3 years, and be Federal Tax compliant