MAXIMUS is a leading operator of government health and human services programs in the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, Australia and Saudi Arabia. The Company delivers business process services to improve the cost effectiveness, efficiency and quality of government-sponsored benefit programs, such as the Affordable Care Act, Medicaid, Medicare, Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP), Health Insurance BC (British Columbia), as well as welfare-to-work and child support programs around the globe. The Company’s primary customer base includes federal, provincial, state, county and municipal governments. Operating under its founding mission of Helping Government Serve the People®, MAXIMUS has more than 16,000 employees worldwide.
Associate Engineer will work as a junior member of a software development team, responsible for the development, implementation and post deployment support of enterprise applications. In this role the Associate Engineer will work under the supervision of Technical Team lead or Senior Engineer. As a member of the team, Associate Engineer will participate in all phases of the Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC).
• Create working software programs, with clear and succinct code documentation, that meet the written and oral functional requirements provided by customer
• Fix defects in the home grown applications or third party software according to written and oral specifications
• Create scripts to create and modify database objects
• Work on deliverables with inputs and guidance from Development Manager or senior developers
• Actively participate and contribute in SDLC activities such as solution design, work effort estimation, assisting peers with technical challenges and code reviews
• Understand business processes and develop test scenario in accordance with system requirements and business process changes; create test data manually and/or systematically to test software programs
• Perform production support activities such as monitor system processes, evaluate the outcome of system processes, work through system exceptions, and create processes to monitor and report on the overall system health
• Work with the supervisor to understand the assigned work, deliver on agreed upon dates and raise issues/risks in a timely manner in case of risk to deliverables
• Create/modify artifacts and deliverables expected from the SDLC and change management process
• Follow the SDLC and change management processes adopted by the organization
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science or a related field of study with 0-2 years of relevant experience
• Fluency in Object Oriented (OO) Programming; familiarity and fluency in OO programming languages (preferably Java)
• Solid understanding in basic concepts of data organization; familiarity with RDBMS is a plus
• Solid understanding of SDLC such as Waterfall, AGILE, SCRUM, etc.
• Good knowledge of information systems design principles and current/emerging trends in this field is required
• Must be aware of most prevalent and trusted technical discussion boards, portals and knowledge sharing internet sites for help with technical challenges
• Knowledge of policies, standards, procedures, and techniques used for application development
• Ability to think logically and structurally, and have attention to detail
• Strong analytical skills and strong communication skills, both written (with emphasis on technical documentation) and verbal
• Ability to work effectively and efficiently in high performing and self-governing teams
• Ability to perform comfortably in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented work environment
Technical Skills & Desired Proficiencies:
• Java or other OO programming language – Novice
• JSP/JSF – Novice
• SQL – Novice
• UML – Fundamental Awareness
• Eclipse IDE – Novice
• Junit – Fundamental Awareness
• SVN – Fundamental Awareness
• Build Automation Scripts using ANT – Fundamental Awareness
• Maven & Gradle – Fundamental Awareness
• Hands-on programming knowledge of PL/SQL
• Experience with any SQL Tools: Oracle SQL Developer, Toad, or PL/SQL Developer
• Oracle Certified Associate or Java SE Programmer preferred
• Ability to sit for up to 80% of time
• Ability to lift or carry objects up to 10 lbs.
• Frequent use of computer, telephone, and office equipmecant (copier, fax, scanner)
Monday - Friday, 9 am to 5 pm
Schedule can be altered at supervisor’s or manager’s discretion.