MAXIMUS is a leading operator of government health and human services programs and has partnered with state, federal and local governments to provide critical, high quality health and human service programs to a diverse array of communities. Operating under MAXIMUS’s founding mission of Helping Government Serve the People® since 1975, MAXIMUS Federal Services is entirely focused on helping government agencies run programs cost-effectively and serve program constituents with improved outcomes. By being a responsible steward for government programs, we help the federal government deliver on its promises through our people, process and technology. Our focus is always on outcomes and results that connect citizens more effectively with government services.
We are seeking a part-time Senior System Security Engineer to perform system engineering tasks to design, implement, maintain, and test IT solutions for the IRS Enterprise. The System Security Engineer will work closely with IRS personnel and other MAXIMUS professionals in a team environment.
The candidate must be able to work 1-2 days a week at the IRS facility in New Carrollton MD, with remaining days working remotely from home. The selected candidate must be flexible and available to attend meetings or perform other activities in New Carrollton as required. Project may consider IRS experienced candidates outside of DC Metro area as 100% remote.
This is a part-time position working @ 20 hours per week.
• Develop specifications for extremely complex computer network security/protection technologies for IRS information and network systems/applications
• Develop security solutions for the IRS's networks and virtual private networks, application systems, key public infrastructures, authentication and directory services to ensure the security of the network and tax payer information
• Perform patch/release management and ensure all packages are deployed efficiently and as transparently as possible. Interface with program team to ensure appropriate resolution of BigFix and general patching issues
• Build design documentation for deploying advanced system access control given a baseline understanding of current tools deployed and the implementation status of each tool.
• Identify emergent vulnerabilities, evaluate associated risks and threats, and design network vulnerability scans to identify security vulnerabilities and provide remediation alternatives to the customer
• Lead specific areas of computer security incident response activities to include intrusion detection monitoring, scanning, cyber threat reporting, and development/implementation of vulnerability mitigation strategies
• Build strategic plan and technology outline of how best to get ticketing assignments put into the current ticketing system based on understanding of current practices and incident response efforts.
• Build standard operating guidance and other key documentation to outline process and procedures that will need to be executed.
• Execute approved strategic plan and track progress, issues and gaps.
• Provide expert guidance on Phantom, CISCO ISE, BigFix, ForeScout, Res One, the IRS ticketing system, and Splunk.
• Provide system support surrounding interconnectivity with external and internal system segments.
• Provide efficient system design for CDM Phase 2 and work with the other organizations, internal and external, to implement the systems as agreed to.
• Provide technical expertise on the integration of IT systems.
• Develop system requirements, specification preparation, test plans, deployment and upgrade plans.
• Participate in the analysis, design, and test of new IP based equipment and configurations for new or existing systems.
• Propose upgrades to existing system architectures and configurations.
• Perform integration testing.
• Participate in management of system configurations.
• Conduct Operations and Maintenance support to identify severity of problems, determines corrective action, resolves technical problems, and performs fault isolation and implements solutions.
• Remain current on system product developments and improvements.
• Develop and execute test procedures for various system projects.
• Proactively evaluates system performance and utilization trends.
• Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university required; an additional four (4) years of related work experience can substitute for a degree
• At least eight (8) years of related experience
• Extensive experience with IRS processes and technologies, to include IRS Cybersecurity, and Enterprise Operations
• Operations and maintenance experience with BigFix, Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Windows, Splunk, and Virtual Machine
• Experience with reviewing, analyzing and coordinating requirements for ingesting auditable and actionable events into the IRS security information and event monitoring technology
• Proven ability to work on and with teams comprised of the primary client and other client stakeholders dispersed across geographical sites
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Work is performed in a general office environment
Additional Requirements as per contract/client:
• Candidates must meet requirements to obtain and maintain an IRS Minimum Background Investigation (MBI) clearance (active IRS Moderate Risk MBI clearance is a plus).
• Candidates must be a US Citizen or a Legal Permanent Resident (Green Card status) for 3 years, and be Federal Tax compliant.