Engineer AWS Cloud Support/Virtual Desktop Infrastructure
MAXIMUS is seeking an experienced AWS Operational Support Engineer (or VDI desktop support engineer) to support multiple enterprise instances of Virtual Desktops in Amazon Workspaces (cloud) desktops environments, by serving as an integral part of a team to primarily support administration, implementation, testing, upgrades, patching, and maintenance. This position will be involved in delivering and supporting a technical solution for VMware VDI technologies and Amazon Workspaces. It requires expertise in setting up, configuring, deploying and support AWS/VDI throughout the enterprise. The Engineer will provide operational and end user support for the AWS Virtual Desktop environment and participates in the development and implementation of operational procedures and standards.
• Defines the Windows desktop images standards, deployment methods and use of supporting tools and
technologies: Infrastructure – storage, networking, servers, load balancing, etc.; Anti-virus, Patching and Profile
• User experience monitoring, single sign on, Performance troubleshooting, Endpoint management (thin clients, mobile
• Application deployment and virtualization within AWS
• Develop and maintain OS Standard Operating Procedures for AWS end user Environment
• Meets key performance indicators for infrastructure, user experience, applications, storage, servers, and network
components related to VDI, escalating outcomes appropriately.
• Identifies issues proactively using required tools.
• Works on automating system procedures and processes to evolve the technology in the organization.
• Works in ticketing system to solve escalated issues.
• Contributes to knowledge base for troubleshooting and maintaining the environment.
• Provides documentation, processes and technical training to service desk and administrator level team members.
• Contributes to on call escalation support 24x7 per team schedule.
• Performs scheduled night/weekend work as required due to environmental constraints.
• Providing operational support for Active Directory security groups
• Responsible for the analysis, administration and support of thin clients, virtual and physical desktops.
• Diagnoses and troubleshoots problems with Virtual AWS workspaces, software, communications devices within
established procedures, responds to End User requests for technical support and assistance.
• Provide support and assistance to System Administrator(s), Network Engineer(s) and Telecommunications Systems
staff in the delivery of End User support and Systems Maintenance.
• Assists in ensuring compliance with security policies and procedures.
• Participates in the development and implementation of VDI-related operational procedures and standards.
• Interfaces with vendors and other IT Groups to ensure appropriate resolution during network outages or periods of
• Coordinate any application changes with stakeholders within the framework of a Change Request system and Review
• Conduct moderately complex projects or phases of significant projects; and coordinate the efforts with teams
• Ability to research solutions to complex issues and resolve them
• Perform other duties as assigned by leadership
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university required, preferred field of study in Information Technology
or Engineering, or minimum equivalent of 3 years’ experience in lieu of degree.
• Cloud support experience, deployment, and maintenance
• Ability to adapt and learn new technologies.
• Excellent organizational skills with emphasis on detail and follow up.
• Systems administration in Windows
• Virtual Application packaging and remediation desired: AWS.
• Virtual software provisioning skills (desired: AWS and VMware).
• Virtual Desktop Administration preferably using AWS Management console.
• Windows Desktop Administration Skills. Microsoft Windows 10.
• Deployment and Configuration Automation experience.
• Virtualization Infrastructure Experience desired: Amazon Workspaces administration console
• Enjoys a fast-paced environment.
• Proven ability to multi-task and to prioritize rapidly changing task assignments
• Able to work and interact with others in a structured/team environment.
• Accuracy and attention to detail; must have organizational skills.
• Independent problem solver with troubleshooting, decision making and analytical skills.
• Requires limited supervision, self-starter, strong time management skills.
• Flexibility and adaptability to handle competing work demands.
• Demonstrated ability to communicate to nontechnical audience on technical issues.
• Ability to work flexible hours and be on-call.
• Ability to sit for up to 80% of time
• Ability to lift or carry objects up to 10 lbs.
• Frequent use of computer, telephone, and office equipment (copier, fax, scanner)