Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supports operations at the NOAA Environmental Satellite Processing Center.
- Responsible for ensuring reliable operation of the systems that decode the data coming from weather satellites, make images, perform scientific analyses to make higher level products, and make these products available to National Weather Services (NWS) local forecast offices, NWS supercomputers running advanced numerical models, and a host of other users at NOAA, other government agencies, international users and more.
- Directly support NOAA’s Polar Orbiting Environmental Satellite system the mission of which is to provide environmental monitoring to the US government. This is a 24x7 operational environment.
- Update, reconfigure and support of the TEP effort (Training and Test Simulator Emulation Program) of the NOAA Polar Orbiting Environmental Satellite program.
- Develop new solutions required to make the TTS Emulation Program (TEP) more closely reflect the performance of the actual satellites being emulated.
- Complete TEP migration to a Linux environment.
- Install and configure TEP at multiple locations, complete testing and acquire approval to use the systems from our government customer.
- Create software Programmable Serial Interface (PSI) module to handle command formatting and then replicate that command remotely.
- Create and release of TEP Phase II software, including the PSI listed above, testing and installation.
- Create Command Encryption Module (CEM) used for encryption of commands used in remote synchronization.
- Create and release of TEP Phase III software including the CEM listed above, testing and installation.
- Typically requires a minimum of 5 years of related experience with a Bachelor's degree; or 3 years and a Master's degree; or a PhD without experience; or equivalent work experience.
- Works on problems of diverse scope where analysis of data requires evaluation of identifiable factors.
- Demonstrates good judgement in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions.
- Networks with senior internal and external personnel in own area of expertise.