Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support operations at the NOAA Environmental Satellite Processing Center.
- Responsible for ensuring reliable operation of the systems that decode the data coming from weather satellites, make images, perform scientific analyses to make higher level products, and make these products available to National Weather Services (NWS) local forecast offices, NWS supercomputers running advanced numerical models, and a host of other users at NOAA, other government agencies, international users and more.
- Provide major portals for acquiring and viewing OSPO products that include satellite imagery and a diverse portfolio of satellite products.
- Lead, maintain, design and build web sites to meet our customer’s needs, with proven skills and professional experience designing and implementing data-oriented web sites suitable for multiple device platforms.
- Work closely with a variety of stakeholders to establish their unique needs for the sites while preserving a unified web site look and feel.
- Detailed-oriented and motivated web site developer.
- Participate in all phases of the development lifecycle, beginning with the gathering of requirements, and project specifications.
- Manage project tasks and timelines and communicate project status and deliverables with managers and staff.
- Develop and maintain functional and appealing responsive web sites, writing clean, well- designed code and using authoring tools, scripting languages and content management tools.
- Develop, update or implement existing procedures for ongoing web site revision and style guidelines for web site content.
- Evaluate code to ensure that it is valid, is properly structured, meets industry standards and is compatible with browsers, devices, or operating systems and follow all agency and government guidelines and rules in web development.
- Perform regular maintenance of existing sites along with troubleshooting and testing of any issue.
- Communicate with network and security personnel to address hardware or software issues affecting web sites.
- Respond to web user email inquiries; identify problems uncovered by testing or customer feedback, and correct problems or refer problems to appropriate personnel for correction.
- Typically requires a minimum of 5 years of related experience with a Bachelor’s degree; or 3 years and a Master’s degree; or a PhD without experience; or equivalent work experience.
- Works on problems of diverse scope where analysis of data requires evaluation of identifiable factors.
- Demonstrates good judgment in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions.
- Networks with senior internal and external personnel in own area of expertise.