The MAXIMUS Accommodations & Leaves Team (MALT), is the centralized point of contact for employee, HR Representative and Management inquiries about the accommodations and leave program. The MALT will perform in a high volume, contact center environment and provide support for all employees. As a member of MALT, this role is responsible for the successful day-to-day support and execution of the Leave of Absence and Job Accommodation processes. The incumbent will engage in the administration of leaves and disability accommodations in accordance with applicable laws, lead the interactive process under the ADA, and make recommendations to HR and Management regarding accommodations (leave and on-the-job). The incumbent will also serve as the subject matter expert for FMLA, ADA accommodations, and all other Leaves of Absence (LOAs).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support the MAXIMUS Accomodations and Leave Team's (MALT) high-volume contact center through its full cycle of initial requests by engaging in the employee’s submission of medical support documentation, follow up, review of documentation to ensure compliance, collaboration with local HR and management to discuss leave or accommodation options, and communication of leaves and medical accommodation outcomes to the required parties.
- Conduct and document initial intake calls with employees regarding accommodations and leaves program.
- Engage in an interactive dialog with the employee, local HR and management regarding the program.
- Exhibit strong customer service, problem solving and creative thinking skills.
- Educate and guide employees on the types of leave offered by MAXIMUS, statutorily or federally mandated, to ensure awareness and understanding of the process and responsibilities on behalf of the employee.
- Process leave and accommodation requests by engaging in an interactive dialog with the employee to better understand their needs and medical requirements.
- Document all aspects of interaction with the employee, local HR Representative and management in the system of record to ensure proper reporting, review, compliance and audit.
- Analyze essential job functions as compared to restrictions; develop recommendations for HR and management regarding on-the-job accommodations; collaborate with local HR and management regarding reaching a final determination to grant or deny an accommodation.
- Consult with Risk Management (workers comp), Labor and legal counsel as necessary.
- Review and analyze employee return to work documentation and engage in interactive process regarding return to work restrictions. This includes analyzing essential job functions as compared to restrictions, developing recommendations for HR and management regarding return-to-work (RTW) accommodations, and determining final decision whether to grant or deny accommodation.
- Forward escalated issues, from employee requests related to the program, to management.
- Collaborate in the resolution of issues escalated from third party STD/LTD providers on employee applications for benefits with management.
- Respond to all employee, local HR Representative and management requests in a timely and accurate manner.
- Serve as subject matter expert to employees and managers regarding the LOA process, ADA job accommodations, and status.
- Run and analyze, reports and data received from vendors regarding status of an employee’s leaves and communicate regarding leave-end return to work plans with employees and managers; analyze and prepare reports as requested by manager, identify areas of improvement and patterns.
- Handle all information, calls and requests with the utmost professionalism and confidentiality to ensure compliance with HIPAA regulations.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education, technical training or work experience considered in lieu of degree.
- 3+ years of experience in Human Resources, including experience with various leaves programs and ADA job accommodations.
- Strong working knowledge of ADA/ADAAA, FMLA, USERRA and similar state and local laws.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Strong negotiation/influencing skills.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Strong oral and written communication skills required.
- Strong analytical and organizational skills required.
- Proficiency in Word, Excel and Access required.
- Independent problem-solving skills.